Tuesday, July 24, 2012

They Might Be Giants Minimalism

If you've noticed a lack of updates over the last couple of weeks, it's because I've been working on this, a series of minimalist revisions of the entire catalog of They Might Be Giants album covers. I undertook this project for a few reasons: first, I am a huge, lifelong fan of TMBG; second, while there are a lot of TV show and movie fan posters in a minimalist style out there, I've never really seen it tried with album covers; and third, I wanted to try applying a single consistent theme to a full series of works.

So far, I've gotten a great response not only from fans of They Might Be Giants, but from the band themselves: they retweeted my link and posted it in their Facebook group, which accounts for like 99% of the views the project has received so far. Given that this was the first time I've ever done a series like this, I'm incredibly appreciative of the positive feedback that I've received, not to mention the shout-out from the band themselves.

It's bizarre to me that we live in an amazing future time where you can make fan art and then share it directly with the artist you're a fan of. I've been listening to TMBG since I was a kid, and for years would (and still do) proudly and sometimes defiantly state that they were my favorite band and the best band in the world. It's astounding to me that I made a thing and they saw that thing and thought it was cool. Just utterly gobsmacked.

Anyway, should you be interested, the full series of 19 album covers can be viewed on Behance here.

No comments:

Post a Comment